Sunday, March 7, 2010

No Donuts? What? Who is this?



Have you ever worked with me? Hung out for a weekend? Been out to eat? Hung out one night? In any of this time, do you remember me turning down a sweet? Candy yes, I'm not a big fan, but a pastry. Well I'm asking because it doesn't happen. I have a sweet tooth...I know it, I blame mostly my dad, but I have seen him say no for many January's in a row. But NOT ME. I don't turn them down...

Then, a friend invited me to a "healthy competition". Whats that? Healthy? Me. My friend Gail would faint. She gets down right irate at the amount of sweets I consume. But I looked it over and its not about weight loss, its just about becoming more aware of what you eat and being overall a healthier person.

I have been wondering how to perhaps tone down the sweet intake in my life so about 2 minutes before the competition began, I said count me in.

Now I have to say...my life habits having changed in one week. And I'm not saying I feel better and I'm now going to run a marathon, no I don't feel any different at all...BUT I have been sticking to the plan and it feels bloody good to just say I'm eating better.

So here it is...I'm just saying don't offer me sweets in the next 8 weeks cuz I'm gonna win this competition.


  • 45 Minutes of exercise per day...yes thats a lot coming from someone who really I can count on one hand how many times in my life I can say, yes I'm in shape. So this week I have done, Yoga, Climbing and back exercises. Carson's healthy again so next week we may even enter the... Gym. What the heck.

  • Take a multi-vitamin. This is easy right...well in theory yes. But you have to remember. Thats where it gets weird...I've never taken any pill in my life consistently...even when the doc says take these antibiotics for 10 days...I only make it to maybe 6...ok 4. Whatever.

  • Eat a healthy/balanced breakfast. Hum. Breakfast? Do people really still eat breakfast...I mean really its not the 50's people.

  • Eat a healthy/balanced lunch. Ok, I like lunch...in fact anyone want to do lunch? Really I can do this one, but in the past this has often been the only meal of my day...so that brings me to

  • Eat a healthy/balanced dinner. Oh crap. dinner. In the past I have just forgotten this meal. Carson has his toddler meal and well it seems there has been feeding so I'm good. So I have found good dinner places, cooked broccoli, got the fish, and didn't even forget.

  • No Sweets. Yup. This week I turned down scones. Its just sick and wrong. I felt dirty. It felt wrong. Troy, thanks for rubbing it in. No really it was fun to watch you eat 3 of them. Luckily Carson doesn't like fried dough either so, we foused on the cheese.

  • No food after 8:30. Ok, so in the past if I was going to have dinner, well lets just say 8:30 was EARLY! Now I have to eat before this. BEFORE? And what about Chips Ahoy to put me to sleep.

  • And last 64 oz. of Fluid. Let me just put this out there...we went from potty twice a day to about 28 times.

So its crazy and really not me. But I like competition. I wanted to be a bit better and maybe after this crazy 8 weeks then I will turn to more healthy snacks instead of craving donuts all the time. Huh...could happen right? I mean stranger things have happened.


3 comments:

marshfam said...

Jod- so first of all kudos to you for setting a goal and sticking to it!! Now that that's been said.... I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU ANYMORE!! No donuts???? I was so excited for book club thinking of the big box of donuts you'd be bringing with you, ha ha! JK loved your post. Good luck with eating 3 whole meals a day. I say that's the first rule you break. Love ya!

Liz and Dave said...

That's awesome! Good luck to your healthy 8 weeks to happiness of winning the contest. You are totally like me, I don't do breakfast, lunch yes my most happy meal of the day, dinner no not really an option for me... Good Luck Jodi!

~Angie~ said...

Hey Jodi.. I stumbled on your blog from Hillary Vaughn's.. and how funny this first post I read of yours.. it's been forever since I've seen ya, but I remember when I first started at Iomega.. waaaayy back when.. what- 13 years ago almost? And one of the first places you took me was to Tastey's! So yes, even how long it's been, I do recall you eating yummy food! haha.. Good luck with your contest.. it sounds good in theory, I just don't know that I could follow those rules... :)
Angie (jolley) Curtis